Doctrine & Covenants 89: 18-19

"And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones; And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures."

1.18.2011

Homemade Laundry Stain Remover/Spray

I am always trying to find ways to make my own products of common household products because I like to avoid harmful chemicals and I love to be frugal. Here is one recipe I have been using for 1-2 years. It is tried and true as I have 6 young kids who do spill and otherwise mess up their clothes.

Homemade Laundry Stain Remover/Spray

1- spray bottle (I use my spray bottle from the store bought laundry spray)
1/4 cup liquid glycerin*
1/4 cup liquid soap- your choice- I use Dawn just because I know it is good at getting grease out, but you could use a more earth friendly one.
1 1/2 cup water

Mix the glycerin and soap together in a 2 cup measuring cup. Fill slowly with water (to avoid making too many bubbles) to the 2 cup line (that will add the 1 1/2 cup of water needed). Mix and pour into spray bottle. To use, spray on stain. Stains can be sprayed in advance and left to sit on stain until laundry day or just before laundering. For grease stains, I use a bit of full strength Dawn on it and then spray with this spray. For chocolate, mud, or ink stains, I apply some glycerin then spray it with the spray and let it sit a day or so. All other stains I use just the spray.

*Glycerin may be hard to find as most pharmacies are no longer carrying it. I have found it online at soaping supply stores. Don't buy the thin watery ones as things have been added. The glycerin you want will be thick and a bit sticky. I buy it in bulk to save more money. The glycerin is very important as it helps to loosen the stain so it can be washed away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Us What You Think