Doctrine & Covenants 89: 18-19

"And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones; And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures."

1.07.2011

Homemade Deodorant

By Apple Blossom

I find joy in making and creating things that are natural and healthy and not full of chemicals. One product I have not had to buy in almost a year is deodorant. I make it myself. It works too! I have tried several "natural" ones available at health food stores with no luck. They didn't seem to work for me and I hated how expensive they were. I absolutely love that I am not rubbing a heavy metal (aluminum) on my underarms daily that has been linked to breast cancer and dementia. It is simple and very quick to make!

Homemade Deodorant

1/4 cup Baking Soda
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
about 4 TBSP coconut oil
10 or so drops your favorite essential oil

Mix dry ingredients together, then with a fork add the essential oil and the coconut oil until you like the consistency. I have melted the coconut oil and mixed it all up before-- it is easier to mix but it will separate a bit after it cools to room temp. You can store this at room temp (that is what I do) or keep it in the fridge. It wont spoil as coconut oil has a shelf life of 2 years. At room temperature it will be more like a cream that you dip your fingers and rub on. In the fridge it will be a solid-- use like any other solid deodorant -- but it will be cold. I found that in the summer time, my house gets too hot and is it constantly a liquid, so in the future for summer time, I will use less coconut oil so it will be 'drier'. As for essential oils, most coconut oils have a coconut sent so you might want to pick one that compliments that scent. I have found that I like grapefruit or lemongrass essential oils. Use citrus essential oils with caution as they may make you more sensitive to the sun. I have no problem with that as I don't go out showing my armpits to the sun.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back, Apple Blossom!!! I use just coconut oil with lavender oil and it too works great.

    ReplyDelete

Tell Us What You Think