Doctrine & Covenants 89: 18-19

"And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones; And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures."

9.12.2009

Word of Wisdom Backwards

By Ember

First - Welcome new readers! Please leave a comment, as we'd love your input on topics you'd like to see written about and your feedback on the things we do write. What do you have to teach us? What are you doing to better your health?

Now - On to the 'meat.'

I have included a link to the Word of Wisdom Backwards. The information is very interesting in my opinion. And I must add, it's not always well received. The first part is the author, Joyce Kinmont's, interpretation of the W of W. It's an eye opening, verse by verse, view. The rest is statements from the prophets. I came across this many years ago and it was a bit of a shock. I have loved discussing this with people.

Would you please read the short article and then read the rest of this post?

Thanks.

****************

Please don't run away screaming because I brought up the 'meat' subject. This seems to be the topic that stands out the most after people read the Word Of Wisdom Backwards, so I will focus my thoughts on it. I realize that I run the risk of having you skip over every post that includes 'By Ember' under the title, but it's a risk I'm willing to take. Feel free to pass over me. The other women have very valuable information to pass on to you.

I wasn't trying to trick you. Well, maybe I was a little bit. Please forgive me; I find that most people won't read the quotes any other way. I'd love to hear your (respectful) thoughts on this subject after you have read and pondered the quotes of our leaders.

Here are mine: I'm not here to promote a vegetarian diet. I do still eat meat. It’s probably less than most but more than I feel I should. Our stomachs produce acid (is the acid produced in the stomach or somewhere else?) that is tailor made for digesting animal proteins. Healthy meat contains some healthy nutrients not found anywhere else. But I have tried to incorporate more meals that are meatless and plant rich. My goal is to eat meat only once or twice a week. It will not been an easy task, especially because the change involves my husband, who would love to eat meat for every meal. (Actually, in truth, he doesn't have the desire for it like he used to and finds that it doesn't always agree with him anymore.) When I was young, I tried to be a vegetarian but my father wouldn't stand for it. He is a very good man, and used the W of W as his basis for putting his foot down. He was convinced that a diet involving animal protein was superior. I wonder, though, what would happen if more people were simply aware that prophets have encouraged us to eat little meat and that some were vegetarians themselves? If my children felt compelled to be vegetarians, I would try my best to support/encourage them. I would also make sure that they understand the different nutritional needs they would have and make those foods as available as possible.

I apologize if you're feeling a little sideswiped. I have felt that way many times as I am reprogrammed towards a *holistic life. By taking baby steps, and praying for the changes I can make right now, I have managed to make many improvements over the last 10 years. I know that you can too. I also know that it is completely worth it.

*holism - A theory or belief emphasizing the importance of the whole and the interdependence of its parts.

My next few posts will be about the lifestyle changes that my family has made, how we've transitioned and been able to afford them, and how to not be so discouraged while making the changes.

"Let me plead with you, search the Word of Wisdom prayerfully. Do not just read it, search it prayerfully. Discover what our Heavenly Father gave it for. He gave it to us with a promise of longer life and happiness, not if we fail to observe it, but if we observe it." - George Albert Smith, 8th President

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Us What You Think