Doctrine & Covenants 89: 18-19

"And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones; And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures."

9.04.2009

My Journey - Sassafrass

By Sassafrass

I am not sure where to start exactly. My major influences for simple, healthy living have been a friend and family member. I used to think, "Well, you all are kind of out there! If that's what you want to do, fine, but leave me out of it." Then I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. All turned out well enough. I was pretty fortunate as I didn't have to have chemo or radiation. I just had to have my thyroid surgically removed and now I have to take a synthetic replacement the rest of my life. Pretty easy, considering. Then my body never went back to the way it was before my thyroid issues, which caused a myriad of ailments: weight gain, period problems (more than normal), hair loss, mood changes, the list could go on and on.

Immediately after the surgery my hair started falling out hasn't stopped but for a short time since. Amazingly, I am not bald like I thought I would be by now. Go figure! I have talked to my doctor several times about it and get the same answer: "It is not your medication." Well, my hair didn't fall out before and it gets worse when the dosage changes. But what do I know?

Then last summer at a family camping trip we all kind of got a little sunburned, some of us more than others. So out came the coconut oil and some other essential oils (I don't remember which ones). Then began the discussion of what oils would work best for each of us. That was my cue. Happily, I fell headlong into essentials oils, which I love. A friend teases me saying that I had better check myself before I stand at the pulpit and bear my testimony of my oils, which I totally could do. However, that is frowned upon by our leadership so I guess that I won't. That is how I got my hair to stop falling out briefly before the last dosage increase. I use oils every day, some on my face, some in my toothpaste, some for female support and some for the other random things that come up.

Since then I have had several conversations with people about nutrition and health issues. I have come to the conclusion that a lot, if not most, of our health issues (ie: my thyroid cancer, infertility, allergies, etc) was/is caused by the foods we put into our mouths. So I have started learning about raw, whole, and living foods. I am so excited. I love making my brain bigger. I am so very new to all of this that all I can tell you is start reading. The library, the Internet and friends are the resources that I use.

I have started my own green smoothie experiment. I'm not sure how well it will go over but I am going to fight through the arguments and frustrations to see if it will help. I started yesterday and ate mostly raw, whole foods and this morning I am down 3.4 pounds. That is something that my body doesn't do. I think it's because of my thyroid. Stupid thing. It controls everything. And I don't feel like I am starving my body. I eat when I am hungry and the food that I am putting in my mouth actually nourishes my body. All of it, not just the fat cells, weird!

I have tried Weight Watchers and a couple of other diets without any success. This summer I rode my bike nearly every morning for five to six miles with no physical changes. Yes, I am sure that my legs and lungs got stronger but I didn't lose a pound. I was so frustrated. If I only knew then....

I have been reading the last couple of nights in D & C 89 (Word of Wisdom). I always thought that we were fine because we weren't doing the things that it said not to. But then it was pointed out to me, all of the things it says to do. What truly amazing blessings, promises and information the Lord has given us. I am so grateful to be a part of this church and to have living prophets to lead and guide us.

So to follow the Lord's admonition, "Prove me now herewith," I am working on changing my thoughts and that of my family about food. I am conducting my own green smoothie experiment and I am moving toward a more healthy lifestyle. It isn't going to happen all at once, that is for sure, but I believe that every effort will be blessed. (Thanks, Ember.)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry.

    What have you been using in your smooties? How is the sprouting project coming along? I'd love to hear more about your Green Smoothie Experiment.

    ReplyDelete

Tell Us What You Think