Doctrine & Covenants 89: 18-19

"And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones; And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures."

9.30.2009

The Most Important Meal of the Day

By Sage

I've discovered my new favorite breakfast, and I LOVE breakfast! When left to my own devices (In other words, when I don't have to wake to an alarm clock, which is... let's see... almost never...) then I wake up hungry. However, mornings are very busy for me, ergo I don't have time to make a gourmet meal. So what I've started doing lately I can do quickly, and it sticks with me for hours without feeling heavy or making me feel guilty.

1 cup water
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Hot Cereal
Handful of Old Fashioned (not quick) oats
Dried Blueberries
Raisins
Almonds & Pecans chopped into largish chunks
Skim Milk (or soy milk, or rice milk, or nut milk, or whatever you use)
Honey

Bring the water and salt to a boil. Add the 10 Grain cereal and oats, stir well, reduce heat and cook until water is all absorbed, stirring occasionally. Transfer cereal to bowl and throw in the amount of fruits and nuts you desire. Add milk to taste, and drizzle a little honey over the top.

Yum! I get the dried blueberries at Costco, and they're so wonderful for cereals, muffins, etc. Chock full of antioxidants, those! They're probably available at many health food stores, too. I've also found that when I'm really pressed for time, I can throw the nuts and fruits into a bowl of Raisin Bran, Smart Start, or some other whole grain cold cereal, which makes it much more satisfying and nutrient-rich.

You've got to start somewhere, why not with breakfast? Chuck that Captain Crunch, those Pop Tarts, and even that Sausage Egg McMuffin in the garbage where they belong, and do something good for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Us What You Think