Doctrine & Covenants 89: 18-19

"And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones; And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures."

9.10.2009

The Look

By Ember

One thing that I somehow never get used to is the Look. You know the one. The blank, sorta glassy stare that some people give you when you mention anything about holistic health. (If you don't know what the look looks like, you may be the one giving it, heehee.) I get it all the time. It's almost as fun, not to mention original, as hearing the comment, "My, you've got your hands full." Basically what it seems to imply is, "You're crazy." (Or led astray.) Should I tell them that we don't watch TV? Naaaa, don't want to hurt anybody.

Well, if stepping off the conveyor belt of life is considered crazy, I suppose I deserve to be committed. Nearest looney bin, here I come.

Seriously, I am not satisfied with the Standard American Diet (SAD). I am not cool with checking my brain and intuition at the clinic's door and accepting whatever my doctor says, especially after he spends, what, like 3 minutes half listening to me. I don't want to be dependent on medication. I'm not convinced that my family's best interest is at heart when a new drug or vaccine is 'fast tracked.' The idea that in the name of cleanliness my house needs to be full of toxic chemicals repels me. I want my family to be nourished more often than they are fed. I want to limit my little childrens' exposure to the outside world's influence, so that when they are 'out in the world' they are still sensitive to its evils.

Yes, I know. I'm completely off my rocker.

But, I have found that if I choose a response that will most easily make it possible for the Lookers to change their minds, they are much more likely to do so. Oftentimes people will come back to me with their concerns and questions. Sometimes my passion can get in the way. It takes a real effort to make it less painful for them to rethink their beliefs (with their pride still intact) but I ultimatley don't care as much about being 'right' as I do about promoting health. I've got a lot of room to improve, but it's the goal.

I wholeheartedly believe in Dr. Christopher's vision that "we need an Herbalist in every home and a Master Herbalist in every community". Why? That is a post for another day, but suffice it say, I think it's a great idea to use 'medicine' that has been around for millenia and doesn't require a prescription. I know that the scripture found in Alma 46:40 is a treasure. "And there were some who died with fevers, which at some seasons of the year were very frequent in the land—but not so much so with fevers, because of the excellent qualities of the many plants and roots which God had prepared to remove the cause of diseases, to which men were subject by the nature of the climate." (Emphasis added.)

I sincerely hope to pass the scriptures' vision of health to others, especially to those in the church who have been given such pure doctrine on the subject. Herbs are just a small part and wouldn't be as necessary if we focused on prevention and not just treatment. I'm grateful for the opportunity to share my thoughts and to learn more.

(By the way, I have been able to turn my passion for holisitic living into a class for enrichment and it has been very well attended and received in two different wards. You may want to find out if there's any interest in yours. Don't worry if you don't know much. All the group needs is an organizer. I have learned so much myself from doing this and found many like-minded people to surround myself with.)

Like we've said, and will continue to say: every effort is blessed.

2 comments:

  1. (psssst Alma 46:40 :D )
    So would you say you are a "community organizer" lol :D

    Seriously, I love this scripture, and it amazes me, that people-myself included, have been led astray on this. Not that modern medicines are bad, but it should be Priesthood, herbs, doctor. It's pretty simple, yet we jump to the doctor, to fix everything.
    Maybe YOU could come give a class here :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I know that but apparently my fingers don't.

    ReplyDelete

Tell Us What You Think